Florida's Only State Level Trans* Advocacy Organization
Showing posts 1 - 4 of 4. View more »
"How Many Spirits?" - Trans History Video by Florida Student
Trans*Action Out and About 2013
Why You Should Support Our Organization
In 2011, the National Transgender Discrimination Survey released the following results for the state of Florida:
- 81% of those polled reported experiencing harassment or mistreatment in the workplace based on gender identity/expression.
- The survey reported that harassment within the school environment was so “severe that it led 14% to leave a school in K-12 settings or leave higher education.”
- Questions related to housing discrimination revealed that16% of respondents “had become homeless because of their gender identity/expression.”
- 47% of respondents stated they’d been “verbally harassed or disrespected in a place of public accommodation or service including hotels, restaurants, buses, airports and government agencies.
- The survey further reported “26% (of those polled) were refused medical care due to their gender identity/expression and 35% reported attempting suicide at some point in their life, nearly 22 times the rate of the general population of 1.6%.”